A few thoughts about the utterly ancient Jamie Moyer, who just outdueled the equally elderly Greg Maddux ...
- Did you know Jamie Moyer is 5th on the All-Time Home Runs Allowed list?
- Did you know Jamie Moyer has given up more home runs than any other left-handed pitcher in baseball history?
- Do you realize the four pitchers who have given up more home runs (Roberts, Jenkins, Neikro, and Sutton) are Hall of Famers?
- Did you know because of Jamie Moyer, you can connect 23-year old Phillie pitcher Kyle Kendrick to a player who started his career in 1899 in 7 degrees?
- Kendrick to Jamie Moyer (Phillies 2007-present)
- Moyer to Nolan Ryan (Rangers 1989-90)
- Ryan to Ken Boyer (1966 Mets)
- Boyer to Murry Dickson (Cardinals 1956-57)
- Dickson to Lyn Lary (Cardinals 1939)
- Lary to George Burns (not the actor) (Yankees 1929)
- Burns to Sam Crawford (Tigers 1914), who started his career in 1899.
Back to the subject of home runs for a moment.
How are only three pitchers from the "steroid era" in the top 15 in all-time home runs (Moyer, David Wells, and Randy Johnson)? Weirder still, how are all three are left-handed?
(Wow, that is a poorly written second question. "How are all three left-handed?" Because they throw with their left hand. That's "how" they are left-handed. What I was trying to say is how have three left-handed pitchers who pitched most of their career in the "steroid era" given up more home runs than any right-handed pitcher? I thought lefties are supposedly harder to hit.)